Testosterone Propionate Instructions for Use
It is vital to follow all testosterone propionate instructions for use as prescribed by the doctor in order to achieve the desired benefits. Although testosterone propionate is the least prescribed form of testosterone injections, it does have specific medical uses that qualify it as a necessary option for some individuals in need of hormone replacement therapy.
Testosterone propionate is most commonly used in a stacking format either with testosterone cypionate or testosterone enanthate injections. The duration of testosterone propionate use is going to be relatively short-lived as its main purpose is going to be to jumpstart the effects of TRT, or as an adjunct when a person is not achieving the desired and expected results from treatment.
Testosterone propionate has an extremely short half-life, causing it to be injected at a frequency of once a day or once every other day. The exact dosage will be determined by the prescribing doctor.
How to Prepare Testosterone Propionate Injections
Unlike some other forms of hormone replacement therapy that require premixing before use, testosterone propionate comes already mixed in its vial. Refrigeration is necessary at all times for this medication, but it should be removed 15 to 20 minutes before use to allow it to reach room temperature before proceeding.
In this section, we will focus on testosterone propionate instructions for the preparation of the injection. Here are the steps for preparing the syringe:
- After removing the testosterone propionate from the refrigerator, allow it to sit undisturbed for 15 – 20 minutes
- Examine the vial closely for any signs of crystallization, separation, or discoloration – do not use if any of these changes is noticed
- Also, check expiration dates before each use
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water
- Uncap the vial and wipe the rubber stopper with an alcohol swab – allowing it to air dry completely before proceeding
- While the stopper is drying, open a new syringe package – uncovering the 18 G needle and setting the cover aside for recapping when done
- Using the prescribed dosage amount, pull the syringe plunger slowly back until the same amount of air as the dosage to be injected fills the empty syringe
- While holding the testosterone propionate vial firmly on the counter with one hand, use the other hand holding the syringe to insert the 18 G needle straight down into the stopper
- Slowly push in on the plunger, releasing all of the collected air into the vial
- Gently raise the vial and turn it upside down allowing the testosterone propionate liquid to cover the needle tip
- Pull back slowly on the plunger until the syringe is filled with the prescribed dosage of medication
- Before removing the needle from the stopper, check to ensure that there are no air bubbles in the syringe – gently tap the syringe to force them to the top before injecting them slowly back into the vial and continuing to fill with the appropriate dosage of testosterone
- Remove the needle from the stopper and place the vial back on the counter
- Recover the needle with its cap and then remove it from the syringe – discard in the Sharps container (the 18 G needle is only used for preparing the injection due to the thickness of the testosterone propionate – a smaller needle will be used for injecting the medication)
- Attach a clean, unused intramuscular (IM) needle onto the prepared syringe
The testosterone propionate injection is now prepared and ready to use. At this time, the vial should be replaced into the refrigerator.
How to Inject Testosterone Propionate Injections
Here are the simple steps for injecting your medication. You will have already discussed with your medical advisor where to administer your shot. Testosterone propionate must be injected into a large muscle, such as the buttocks or a thigh.
Here is the testosterone propionate instruction – how to use the prepared shot:
- Prepare the injection site by swabbing with a fresh alcohol prep wipe and let air dry
- Uncover the needle and insert it into the prepared muscle at a 90-degree angle
- Slowly pull back just a little on the plunger to ensure that there is no blood entering the syringe
- Push down on the plunger at a slow and steady pace until all of the testosterone propionate has entered the muscle – the medication is thick, so this will take a few seconds (do not rush)
- Gently pull the needle out of the testosterone propionate injection site and recap with the cover
- Discard the needle and syringe in the Sharps container
The administration of the testosterone propionate injection is now complete.
Determining Frequency and Dosage of Testosterone Propionate Injections
The hormone replacement specialist will order lab tests on a sample of the individual’s blood before determining the ideal testosterone propionate injections dosage and frequency of treatment. A complete physical examination is also required. The purpose of this is two-fold:
- The exam results will be used to ensure that the individual is a candidate for testosterone treatment
- Physical examination results also help to rule out other possible medical conditions that could be the cause of any current symptoms
The most common dosage of testosterone propionate is 50 to 100 mg on either a daily or every other day basis. This is due to the fact that the short half-life of the testosterone propionate ester is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and disappears at an equally rapid pace. Many men report a rapid surge of energy upon administering the testosterone propionate injection.
To find out more about this, as well as other forms of testosterone and hormone replacement therapies, please contact Kingsberg Medical for a confidential consultation. There is no charge for this service, and we are here to help you improve your overall health, vitality, libido, and well-being.Brian Leeber