Testosterone Therapy Pros and Cons for Men and Women
Testosterone has long been viewed as the hormone that allows both men and women to feel amorous and engage in rewarding sexual relationships. That is why its production decline is often lamented by adults who no longer experience desire and arousal at the heightened state they did in their twenties and thirties. For some men, these changes can even begin in their thirties. That is why examining the testosterone therapy pros and cons can be beneficial in rekindling dwindling flames of romance.
What many people do not realize is that testosterone is needed for so much more than desire and sexual performance. This vital hormone helps to protect the bones from growing weak and brittle, the lean muscle tissue in the body from shrinkage, the brain from loss of memory and decreased functions, and even helps promote heart benefits. On top of all that, when looking into the pros and cons of testosterone therapy, we also see that people who are diagnosed with Low T are at a greater risk of obesity and diabetes.
These are all valid reasons why familiarizing oneself with the truth about testosterone replacement therapy is so important as the years pass.
Pros of Testosterone Therapy
Hormone replacement therapy specialists are doctors who treat changing chemical levels in adults as they age. They use a combination approach in the diagnostic process that looks at overall physical health, blood analysis, and an individual’s past and current medical state and symptoms to ascertain if the benefits part of the pros and cons of testosterone therapy will outweigh the possible negative reactions. This is relatively easy to do since there are no serious dangers associated with TRT for most people.
Among the many pros of testosterone therapy we find the following:
- Increased red blood cell count which can help with anemia
- Widening of coronary arteries for improved cardiac output and heart health
- Decrease in stored belly fat and an increase in lean muscle mass
- Lower levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides
- Improved bone density
- Better mood and outlook
- Sharper memory and brain functions
- Increased libido and sexual performance
- Renewed hair growth and thickening on head
- Reduction in the symptoms of menopause
There is definitely a leaning towards the positive that comes from comparing the testosterone therapy pros and cons. The majority of people who are diagnosed with Low T will see tremendous results without every experiencing any of the side effects that will be mentioned in the next section.
Cons of Testosterone Therapy
The risk of side effects is present with any type of medical treatment, including over-the-counter medications. That is one of the reasons why people are not as concerned with the testosterone replacement pros and cons on the negative end as they are with the positive benefits they will receive. Getting rid of unpleasant symptoms of Low T takes high-priority when health and vitality are affected by this decline.
As we look at the negative aspects of the pros and cons of testosterone replacement therapy, we find the following potential risk factors:
- Irritation, tenderness, swelling, redness, or pain at the site of the injection (testosterone injections are mostly used for men)
- Rash or itching from testosterone gels or patches – the cream usually does not cause these problems
- Gynecomastia in males (breast swelling)
- Increased acne or oily skin
- Feelings of anxiety, aggression, or depression
- Changes in sexual desire
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Changes to a woman’s menstrual cycle
- Alterations in skin color/pigmentation
- Deepening of the voice – primarily for women
- Clitoral enlargement
Each of the possible side effects listed above is extremely rare. Most people never see any adverse reactions to the testosterone treatment at all.
Potential worse case scenarios include:
- Rapid and sudden changes in speech
- Temporary blindness or blurred vision
- Unusual headaches
- Severe allergic reactions to any of the ingredients
- Sudden weakness on one side of the body
It is very rare for anyone to experience any of these adverse effects. Most people see only tremendous improvements in their level of vitality, energy, strength, romance, and physical well-being as a result of receiving testosterone replacement therapy.
To learn more about TRT or other types of hormone replacement, please contact Kingsberg Medical directly for a confidential consultation at no charge.