How to Use Depo-Testosterone
If you have been prescribed Depo-Testosterone by your doctor for the treatment of low testosterone, the information provided here will enable you to self-administer the injections from the privacy and comfort of your own home. There is no reason to pay additional expenses of visiting a doctor’s office every two weeks for this shot when it can be performed in a matter of minutes at home. All instructions for application are included in this report.
Before learning the steps for how to use Depo-Testosterone, always remember to do the following things before proceeding with each shot:
- Check for expiration date
- Check the Depo-Testosterone vial for any signs of separation, crystals, or discoloration – do not use if these issues are present, and the crystals do not dissolve by gently swirling the vial
- Always wash your hands with soap and water before handling and administering any medications
- Assemble all necessary supplies before getting started
Your doctor has prescribed Depo-Testosterone in a specific dosage and frequency of treatment to address your individual Low T needs. Do not alter from that course without first speaking with your hormone replacement specialist.
How to Mix Depo-Testosterone
Depo-Testosterone is supplied premixed, so there is no need for any diluent solution to be purchased. Storage of this medication is at room temperature, in a cool, dry place away from light, and out of reach of children.
Because testosterone preparations are extremely viscous, a larger needle is used to draw the medication out of the vial. It is important to remember to exchange this needle for a smaller one before injecting.
The first steps for how to give Depo-Testosterone injections are as follows:
- After removing the cap from the vial, swab an alcohol prep wipe across the rubber stopper
- Allow the stopper to dry before continuing
- Open a clean syringe package and remove the cover from the 18 G needle – setting the cover aside for recapping the needle after use
- Gently and slowly pull back on the plunger of the syringe to fill it with the same amount of air as the prescribed amount of Depo-Testosterone – this air will be injected into the testosterone cypionate vial
- While holding the vial firmly on the counter, insert the 18 G needle straight down into the rubber stopper
- Slowly and gently push down on the plunger until all of the air has entered the vial
- Gently invert the vial upside down so that the tip of the needle is completely covered with the liquid in the vial
- Pull the plunger slowly back until the syringe is filled with the prescribed amount of Depo-Testosterone
- Check the syringe for air bubbles, and lightly tap to force them to the top of the syringe to be pushed back into the vial before continuing to fill the syringe to its prescribed point
- Remove the needle from the rubber stopper and place the vial back on the counter
- Replace the cover back on the needle, removing it from the syringe and discarding it in the Sharps container that has been provided
At this point, you are ready to proceed with the Depo-Testosterone injection.
How to Inject Depo-Testosterone
The following steps show how to give a Depo-Testosterone shot in the comfort and privacy of your own home. The syringe has been filled, and it is now time to proceed with the final steps in the injecting process.
Here is how to use Depo-Testosterone intramuscularly as prescribed:
- Insert a new intramuscular (IM) needle onto the syringe
- Use a second alcohol prep wipe to clean the injection site and let it dry before proceeding
- Remove the cover from the needle and set it aside for recapping
- Insert the needle into the prepared muscle at an angle of 90 degrees
- Pull back on the plunger to ensure that there is no blood entering the syringe
- Push the plunger down slowly – the Depo-Testosterone solution will be thick – until all of the medication has entered the muscle
- Pull the needle out of the muscle and replace the cap
- Discard the entire needle and syringe in the Sharps container
- Return the Depo-Testosterone vial to its storage place out of reach of children
Following the steps listed above will make administering Depo-Testosterone injections at home an easy process to accomplish.
If you have any questions about this procedure, would like guidance and support over the phone, or would like to speak with a hormone replacement therapy specialist about testosterone treatment or any other type of hormone therapy, please contact Kingsberg Medical for a free consultation.Brian Leeber